Saturday, December 12, 2015

Final Project Children's Book: AH MEI.

There are so many things I wanted to include in this book. I wanted characters of color, with different talents that break race and gender stereotypes, I wanted to write a story which people could relate to, one with a lesson everyone could apply to their lives and help make the world a better place. However, after four weeks into this project, I realized that I couldn't connect to my story, that everything felt forced and untrue, and that the diverse cast of characters need more development and didn't drive the plot. Instead they were disposable pawns with which I attempted to make strong points (storytelling can be a talent, don't assume things about person based solely upon the color of their skin, educatIon and literacy for young girls is important) in a not-so-strong way. I knew I couldn't finish the story - the skeleton of the book - by my deadline, so last week, I asked my mom if she knew any empowering stories for young girls that she knew of, besides Mulan. And so she told me about her story. 

After translating her story, I looked back to books I loved reading when I was little, and tried to find a writing and illustration style I wanted to emulate. The Madeline series by Ludwig Bemelmans and Matilda by Roald Dahl struck my attention, and I knew I wanted to have a title and style similar to both books. 



I emulated the rhyme style and landscape illustration from Madeline
Inspired by Roald Dahl's hand drawn illustrations, my story and his elicit a laid back fee

Hyao Miyazaki's illustrations are very peaceful and simple

Thus AH MEI was born. The style of hand drawn illustrations are taken from both books, the and the rhyming style is taken from Madeleine. In the title, Mei is my mom’s Chinese name, as well as English, and her parents called her AH MEI. After interviewing my mother, I spent my time rereading empowering books from my childhood; figuring out how to make the story rhyme , and finally laying it all out. 

AH MEI follows the life of my mother in her mid twenties. She didn't enjoy her daily toilings under a blazing sun as a construction worker, but one day her life perspective, and the perspective of the people to whom she shared a story which she had read, changed after she read a particular book. It was a story of a man, exempt from being drafted in a war between China and Vietnam since his father was a general, who had died in war because his father forced him to fight for their country. From this story, Mei and others learned that no job is more important than another, because if no one is willing to do a job, who will? They also learned that life is short and that peace of mind is a gift. This book boils down these lessons simple enough for children to learn from,  and for adults to interpret. Additionally, it includes elements from my previous goal and more: emphasizing the importance of women's literacy, female agency, critical thinking, and leadership, introduces colors and universally familiar objects, that women can do the things usually men do, and the idea that diligence pays off. More importantly, this is a book I can connect with, as well as something that can remind me of my mother for the years to come.

Link to digital book: http://www.yumpu.com/s/Do2My1r1e8qWLn6p

2 comments:

  1. Yvonne your illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. I really appreciate you taking the time to reflect on your project, realizing your original idea wasn't going to work, and then focusing on the resources that you have: your mom. At the very least I think you have something here that you and your family will cherish, but I think this is a great project with the potential for growth. Great work!

    ReplyDelete