Friday, December 11, 2015

Final Project

As a Latina woman, growing up with a dual-identity meant living two worlds. Throughout this semester, I became more aware of how misrepresented Latinas are in media. It was surprising to me that there was such little representation reflected on screen. Originally, I wanted to discuss both television and film, but both Latinos and Latinas are barely seen on the big screen. The Latino community makes up 17% of the U.S population, but we are almost invisible throughout media from news reports to film. Why are Latinos invisible? The motive behind my project begins at a personal level. I am Latina. There are stories I wish I could relate to on television shows and film but I simply cannot. The discussion has to start somewhere as to how to break the stereotypes that are portrayed in the little air-time Latinos contribute to. Misrepresentation is a difficult task to undo. 

I created a blog on wordpress for a space of discussion and critique on current Latina roles being played in media today. My blog analyzes Latina roles on television shows, and the media perceptions that come along with what is seen on television.  Not only do I focus on stereotypes, but I also focus on roles that break the typical stereotype of Latinas being maids and caretakers. The motive of my blog is to create a space of discussion for the Latino community about mainstream media. In order to find effective ways to represent the many types os Latinas, we must first discuss what is being produced in media now. It is important to discuss and analyze the inaccurate portrays that are associated with us and finding solutions to re-create the most effective and truthful representations of us. Ultimately, I wanted to highlight the importance of including the Latino community in today's media. 


Work Cited:


Race/Ethiniciy in 600 Popular Films: Examining On Screen Portrayals and Behind the Camera Diversity



2 comments:

  1. Thalia, lots of great content up on your blog. I think there is a real potential for a following here. If this is something that you are interested in pursuing (and I think you should be) then you should be updating more regularly and sharing widely. I think this is something people would love to read. Great work!

    ReplyDelete