Saturday, December 12, 2015

What If?

I have always been intrigued by how diverse we attempt to represent ourselves. What does our outward image reveal? What do we choose to wear or not wear? and are we making this decision consciously or is it an accumulation of acquired ideologies from society and media? The claim that you are free to wear what you please, has always triggered a cringe-worthy response from me. Sure, I always had an opportunity to pick and choose what I wanted to wear, but that decision was shackled with predetermined factors including religion, reputation, family, politics.



Even before I came to the United States, there was the lingering anxiety of wearing the Hijab in public after the events of 9/11. I heard through media outlets about the harassment Muslim females were receiving in different states, from having their headscarf pulled off, being labeled and called a terrorist, to being shot and killed. Five years later, and that same fear still lingers. The rhetoric and propaganda about Islam continues - women who choose to wear their religion publicly, are the ones who suffer the most (double trouble if you choose to wear a hijab and are a woman of color).

With all the issues we discussed in class, involving entertainment media in general, including objectification, misrepresentation, lack of diversity/authority/agency, and even policing of women’s bodies, I continued developing a critical eye not only to the society that I currently live in, but that which I came from and had spent the majority of my childhood. The timing of this class happened to align with my journey on self-discovery and identity. As I graduate and go out to the “real-world,” I ask myself: do I want to continue wearing a representation of my faith? How much of an impact, if any, would my decision make? Why should I be concerned with external factors, when the journey is more spiritual and intimate and should involve looking inward. These questions and more have inspired the short film I produced/wrote to present as a final for this class. I hope to continue documenting the choices I make as continue on this journey.

Sources:

Awad, Amal. "Taking off the Hijab." Daily Life. Daily Life, 16 July 2012. Web. 12 Dec. 2015.


Robbins, Liz. "Do You Know Me? Do You Know My Heart?" New York Times. The New York Times Company, 10 Dec. 2015. Web.

Zughaib, Helen. "Changing Perceptions." Changing Perceptions. International Museum of Women, 12 July 2015. Web. 12 Dec. 2015.

Primo, Valentina. "Are Egypt's Women Taking off Their Veils?" Cairo Scene. MO4 Network, 8 Sept. 2015. Web. 12 Dec. 2015.

2 comments:

  1. Asmaa, amazing job! This literally brought a tear to my eye while I'm sitting in this cafe right now. The production is great, your voice is great, the message is simple and to the point. This has the potential to go VIRAL! Especially with everything in the news right now. I love it, and I hope you don't mind me sharing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete