Friday, September 11, 2015

Lydia Aigbedion

Women and Media -1
                As a studio arts major and an aspiring media major, media has become an integral part of my life. Although, this was not a big part of my life until fairly recently, I feel as though I have become more familiar with social media forums, news outlets, and the like. The one thing I have heard (and believe) about the media is that it  poorly depicts events and marginalizes people. The media seems to have an agenda that is exclusive, and for this reason, I feel that it is both my right and role as a critic, media consumer, and media producer to make the media we have today more inclusive, even if I can only share one story.

Some of the news sites I frequently visit.

     While social media forums like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram seem to be the go-to places for events and news, I tend to frequent online news websites for the happenings of the day. That is not to say I do not use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and so on.  Those are all great resources on their own. I tend to be a consumer of many media forms. I am rarely opposed to watching new shows, listening to different genres of music, or reading articles from various news sources. I believe that by viewing these various media types, I am learning about a point of view that I did not consider earlier. By taking in these different opinions I feel as though I am able to understand a broad range of outlooks. However, I try my best not to mindlessly accept everything that is being presented in an article, or television show. Instead, I try to find the relevance or importance of said media. By finding the answer to questions such as these: What could have made a bigger impact? What was said or omitted? I believe that I can get a fuller picture of what the media conveys. In addition to that fuller picture, I think that this way of critiquing will help me as I take steps to become an animator/artist. I believe that my role as an animator/artist to give visibility to a point of view that is often overlooked and marginalized. This point of view, being not only my own but mine as a woman of color, would have a double meaning. Not only would my work highlight my experience, it would also serve as a critique of mainstream media, which tends to promote a less diverse image. Hopefully, as I move on to become a media maker I will remember what I have learn through these media studies.


Giuliana Rancic made racist joke about Zendaya's dreadlocks
just one example of a sweeping generalization 
       Since my sense of self was formed outside of a media centered atmosphere (I lived under a rock when I was younger), I rarely compare myself to “media approved standards.”  There are times when I have wished to look like a model, but these wishes are passing thoughts to me. Very early in my life, I learned to accept myself as I am. I realize that I am the type of person to say “I cannot be the person on the screen, I can only be me.”  Due to this mentality, I do not aim to become “media approved.” I thank my upbringing for my attitude. However, there are times where I feel I have to challenge media stereotypes. When sweeping generalizations about women, people of color, or a combination of the two are made, I feel that I have to put an end to such talk. Such generalizations are attacks and are detrimental to the growth of people that are heavily influenced by media. I am of the firm belief that a comparison is meant uplift both parties, and if they do not, they should not be made.

              While I have more or less provided a bleak description of how I feel about the media in my life, I will say that there are positive aspects of media involvement that I personally benefit from. Mass media communities and events are things that I have gladly welcomed into my life because they have helped me learn a great deal about myself and the time we live in. Through shared experiences, movements such as the #NaturalHairMovement, #FlexinmyComplexion, and #BlackLivesMatter have come together. Each movement acts as a way to highlight the struggles and beauty of black people. One mass media event, which initially opened my eyes to social forums, was the #NaturalHairMovement. As a child I never knew how to take care of my own hair. However, as a result of the Natural hair movement, that has changed and it has allowed me access to an untapped fountain of knowledge concerning my hair. Movements such as these help individuals form communities and foster a sense of self-appreciation. I think it is wonderful that media is to able bring people together, and highlight their struggles. Hopefully, these movements will greatly diversify media.  

No comments:

Post a Comment