Saturday, October 24, 2015

Final Project Proposal: Demystifying "Geek Media"

Topic:
The (mis)representation of women across sci-fi film, movies and television shows based on comic books, and video games.
Proposal:
In my project, I will be exploring the spectrum of female representation in “geek media.” For the purposes of my project, “geek media” encompasses science-fiction film, movies and television shows based on comic books, and video games. The greatest influence on “geek media” is known as “fanboys.” These consumers of “geek media” are predominantly male, and in order to cater to this audience, media outlets typically highlight outward displays of femininity and sexuality by female characters in an attempt to cater to the “fanboy” demographic, whereby heavy visual stimulation is key to making the sale. There is a spectrum of women represented in the following three groups: “The Damsel”, “The Sexy Stoic”, and “The Badass.”
            Geek culture is one that is plagued by patriarchal influences, and as such, it is critical to define and interpret the spectrum of representation of women in “geek media.” Firstly, there’s the leftmost end of the spectrum, “The Damsel.”
Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson in "Spider-Man"
This character being a woman made powerless; she outwardly exhibits what are commonly regarded as feminine traits; she is typically seen as powerless or dependent on male characters, both physically and in the sense that man determines the woman’s self-worth. They are completely objectified. Characters such as Marvel’s Mary-Jane Watson and DC’s Lois Lane fit this category. Next, we have “The Sexy Stoic.” She’s feminine, but retains some power or agency that sets her apart from “The Damsel”. However, her actions and motivations are still subject to that of her male counterparts. Characters that fit this trope include Black Widow of Marvel fame, Selene from the “Underworld” series of films, and Alice from the “Resident Evil” series.
Black Widow and Hulk in "Avengers: Age of Ultron"
Lastly, there’s the rightmost end of the spectrum: “The Badass.” These are characters that are not explicitly feminine; they do not adhere to traditional feminine stereotypes, and they have full agency over their actions and are in complete control of their own sexuality. Characters that fit this end of the spectrum include “Mad Max: Fury Road’s” Imperator Furiosa, Ellen Ripley of the “Alien” film series, DC’s Batwoman, and Marvel’s Jessica Jones. This project will be a discussion presented in video format, pulling clips and images from films and games, and quoting scholarly articles and existing outlets in “geek media” who specialize in the representation of women, such as The Mary Sue, Jezebel, and bitchmedia. This will be an evaluation of the representation of women in “geek media”, and how it is constantly adapting to changes in the consumer demographic. 
Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley in "Aliens"
Why me:
As an avid consumer of "geek media" and  proponent for equality across all mediums, I feel that it is my responsibility to work on this project. I make this for every one of those media consumers who perhaps doesn't comprehend the necessity of feminism in "geek media". I make this for friends, family, my fellow classmates, and far beyond to help enlighten media consumers and help them think more critically about how women are represented across the spectrum.
The Project Thus Far:
I am currently in the developmental stages of creating my project. This includes research, film selection, and outlining the video. In the coming week, I intend to get the recording equipment I will use to record and edit the project. If time permits, I intend to begin main production by next weekend at the latest. Week by week I will record individual sections of the video, culminating in my adding the voiceover work and making final edits by mid-November.
Distribution: 
Besides publishing my work on the class blog, I intend to post it on my personal Youtube account, Facebook, and Wordpress. I want this project to reach as many people as possible, from my personal circle to beyond. It is my hope that this video will help contribute to the greater conversation that several of my resources have done previously. The more media consumers we can add to the conversation, the greater the potential impact and resulting change.
Resources:
The Mary Sue 
Jezebel
Black Girl Nerds (potential)
bitchmedia
Underworld film series
Resident Evil film series
Mad Max: Fury Road
Alien film series
Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron
Sam Raimi's Spider-Man series
Batwoman (comics)
Catwoman (comics)
Lois Lane (comics/film)
Marvel's Jessica Jones (Netflix)
BloodRayne (video game series)
Tomb Raider (game series, movies)
Soul Calibur (game series)




            

1 comment:

  1. I am a passive consumer of "geek media" but I love the idea of this project. It essentially breaks down feminism through such a relevant lens.Look at some of Feminist Frequency's videos on Tropes vs Women in Video games. She gives a a lot of information that I feel pertains to your topic. I can't wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete