Monday, October 26, 2015

Final Project Proposal

A lot of people listen to music, but whenever I put on headphones on the train and try to not make eye contact with a single soul I start to lose myself in the lyrics. I like to paint a picture in my mind according to he lyrics being said. Often when it's BeyoncĂ© I imagine myself as her strutting down the scene killing it, but other times get really pensive about a lyric I like or dislike. 

For my final project I would like to either make a feminist music video tackling gender roles and gender itself or doing photoshoots which express the narrative the lyrics took on in my brain. I want there to be a sense of playfulness to either the video or photographs. I would most likely paste this shoot into tumblr and Instagram since I feel discussion about the topic will be most successful on these sites. I'm planning on using my friends for supplies and models. I want to tackle a lot of issues I'm still deciding which songs will be featured. I'm going to be taking notes for every lyric seems relevant and researching the meaning of each song according to the artist.
Marina and the Diamonds - ‘Teen Idle’ (2012) | Auguste Toulmouche -Vanity (1890) | by Tumblr User Paintstings
The purpose of this project is to open up discussion on real issues by using popular lyrics. Matching lyrics to images has definitely been done before but I want to really tackle big issues. I would love to do both projects if I have enough time and I also want to find a way to compare and contrast lyrics with some of the quotes from our readings. Maybe I can find some parallels or complete opposites. 

1 comment:

  1. I think this has a lot of potential. I think it's important to focus on matching feminist lyrics to images. In the music industry I feel like there's a lot of mixed messages (http://www.buzzfeed.com/azafar/is-lily-allens-hard-out-here-video-racist-or-satirical#.qu7B975Pv). I don't know if this is relevant, but I thought it was interesting (http://www.dummymag.com/lists/alternative-feminist-videos-to-lily-allen-2013). It will be neat to see how you interpret the messages behind the music and choose to depict them! I also think it would be cool to play with gender performance.

    ReplyDelete